After-School All-Stars Ohio to host Annual Live Fit Challenge
One thousand local youth will participate in the one-day fitness centered event
COLUMBUS, OH – After-School All-Stars Ohio (ASAS Ohio) will host its annual Live Fit Challenge on Friday, July 27th from 9:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. This year’s challenge will take place at The Ohio State University French Field House located at 460 Woody Hayes Drive. Approximately 1000 area children, ages 5-14, will participate in this fitness and health centered event.
During the event, ASAS Ohio will challenge participants to learn about healthy eating habits and to experience the sports and enrichment stations offered throughout the day. Students will be able to participate in some of the 18 different stations including tennis, fencing, zumba, street hockey and gymnastics.
Dennis Walters, an honorary lifetime member of the PGA of America and national ambassador for First Tee Golf, will serve as the guest speaker this year. Dennis, who is paralyzed from the waist down, will talk to participants about resilience, fulfilling your dreams and remaining active despite your circumstances.
“We know that there is a serious childhood obesity epidemic in America; but this problem isn’t just national, it’s also local,” said Aslyne Rodriguez, co-executive director for After-School All-Stars Ohio. “Programs like the Live Fit Challenge ensure that our children have an opportunity to learn what it means to have a healthy and active lifestyle.”
The one-day fitness centered event has served more than 150,000 economically disadvantaged children for the past 10 years. This year’s event will take place on the opening day of the 2012 Summer Olympics, and will feature some Olympic traditions including an opening ceremony and awards presentation.
Representatives from the Columbus Crew and Blue Jackets will serve as special guests for the event. Karen Waldbillig Kasich, Ohio’s First Lady and ASAS Statewide Ambassador, will also be present to kick off the event
“We hope that by attending this event, participants will see the benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle,” said Rodriguez. “We want them to take the lessons they’ve learned here and be able to apply them to their everyday life, whether that means picking fruit over chips or spending more time outside.
After-School All-Stars Ohio has partnered with several organizations and businesses for the Live Fit Challenge including: Walmart, 200 Columbus, the Arnold Sports Expo, Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, Fox Sports Ohio, the Institute for Active Living, Jersey Mikes, No Child Left Inside, The Ohio State University and endorsed by the Let’s Move Campaign.
About After-School All-Stars
Founded in 1992, After-School All-Stars is a leading national provider of year-round, school-based, comprehensive after-school programs. During the school year, children participate in free programs that include academic support, enrichment opportunities, and health/fitness activities. The organization’s mission is to keep children safe and help them succeed in school and in life. Over 81,000 children from families of poverty benefit in 13 U.S. regions: Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco Bay Area and South Florida. For more information, visit www.asasohio.org or contact the ASAS Ohio office at 614-257-1678.
- About After-School All-Stars March 11, 2014
- After-School All-Stars in Toledo Joins 14th Annual National Rally for Lights On October 17, 2013
- After-School All-Stars in Columbus Joins 14th Annual National Rally for Lights On October 17, 2013
- After-School All-Stars in Dayton Joins 14th Annual National Rally for Lights On October 16, 2013
- After-School All-Stars Participates in Annual 5k Walk for Education October 4, 2013
- About After-School All-Stars
- After-School All-Stars in Toledo Joins 14th Annual National Rally for Lights On
- After-School All-Stars in Columbus Joins 14th Annual National Rally for Lights On
- After-School All-Stars in Dayton Joins 14th Annual National Rally for Lights On
- After-School All-Stars Participates in Annual 5k Walk for Education
- One of our All-Stars designed and airbrushed this shirt with @TRANSITARTS. How cool! http://t.co/9XMnL7YxdB
about 1 hour ago
- One of our All-Stars designed and airbrushed this shirt with @TRANSITARTS How cool! http://t.co/xQCzXs45p2
about 1 hour ago
about 5 days ago
- Winner of our business card drawing. Brian Timm from @Columbus_Sports http://t.co/bMNnjA4XuC
about 6 days ago
- What a great picture from one of our family nights in Toledo! #iamican http://t.co/OCPxBoY232
about 1 week ago